Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Like Potato chips

I decided to start this blog because I am playing with the idea of getting a second Haflinger as a project. She is a 13 hand mare named Sasha. I don't think "playing with" is the correct phrase so much as careening towards. I had no plans of getting a second horse but there she was on craigs list for 500 dollars just screaming to me to be upgraded. My trainer and I are going to look out her this Saturday. My husband is ready to strangle me.
http://ocala.craigslist.org/grd/1215050171.html
So here it is...
FOR
-I just trained a four year old of the same breed. I am fresh on all the basics and feeling relatively confident I can repeat the feat.
-I have a great trainer as a resource and support group
-She is most likely going to stay pony sized which is better than Bodhi who has to be 14'3 or larger by now
-I am connected to the Haflinger and youth hunter community. I should be able to re home her when she is ready for a career.
-She is unstarted so this should mean a clean slate.
AGAINST
-She is a mare. I have never really owned a mare and usually do not get along with them as well. I do not know if this is a valid concern
-The economy
-Her background is questionable. Just because she has not been started doesn't mean she has not already been jaded by some ignoramus.
-I am going to Graduate school in about one year. That should give me plenty of time to put 90 days on her and get her on the trails and to local shows but you should always think about the what if's. So I am.

I think this is a battle of conscience. I hate to buy an animal I am planning on re homing. It makes me feel bad. On the other hand though her current situation sucks and she has absolutely no training or skills. If I could give her some of those I am increasing her chances of having a long happy fat haflinger life.

In the end it will all depend on how I like her on Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. Your Haflinger is very pretty! I'm a mare person, myself, and they are different. It'll be interesting to see what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to look at her on Saturday with my trainer. I am very excited! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete