I am so relieved. We still have a long road of rehab to go but our future is much more certain. I am still afraid that he won't heal up correctly but my fears are probably unfounded. So here's to a slow but complete recovery for Bohdzilla!
Rehab so far has gone like this...
Weds-Walk 10 mins
Friday-Walk 15 mins
Sat- Walk around the barn with lots of breaks 20 mins
Mon-work on the lunge at the walk and trot (me walking with him so the circles were giant!) 10 min
Thurs walk work (tried a trot not ready for it)
Sat 15 min lunge, 15 mins ride some clicker work. (He looked great!)
Sun(10 mins of riding only)
So far he has been really good. I am never sure if I am challenging him enough or pushing him too far. He has been 100% willing to do all of it and never seems very taxed. I guess it will take a while to find where the sweet spot is.
So obviously no more show season for us so I guess I should change our goals a bit. I want to work on...
- Being lighter on the bit.
- Having more impulsion in upward transitions
- More responsive to all aids
- Working off my body and not my hands for turns and downward transitions- working towards bridleless
- Work on softness in the bitless bridle
- Work on lateral work on the ground
- Perfecting Liberty work
I need to work on
- giving very precise cues
- my delivery of both - and + reinforcement
- Being limber and loose (especially by lower back and hips)
- Core muscles
So if you were forced back to square one what would YOU work on?